Root Canal Treatment in Hammond
Finding a root canal specialist in Hammond residents can trust doesn’t have to be difficult. If your dentist recommends you for a root canal treatment, don’t worry because you’re not alone. The treatment may sound frightening at first but millions of teeth are saved and treated each year with this treatment.
A root canal procedure is needed when the nerve of a tooth is affected by decay or infection. In order to save the tooth, the pulp (the living tissue inside the tooth), nerves, bacteria, and any decay are removed and the remaining space is filled with special, medicated, dental materials, which restore the tooth to its normal function.
A root canal is a very successful procedure that can save a tooth and last a lifetime.
Possible signs and symptoms that require a root canal:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold.
- Severe toothache pain.
- An abscess (or a pimple) on the gums.
- Sometimes no symptoms are present.
Reasons for root canal therapy:
- Decay has reached the tooth pulp (the tissue inside the tooth).
- The infection has developed inside the tooth or at the tip of the root.
- Injury or trauma to the tooth.
If symptoms indicate the need for a root canal specialist, Hammond residents can count on the team at Advanced Dental Concepts to deliver in this procedure and more. Our general dentist in Hammond offers a free consultation. Just call our office today to schedule an appointment to find out if a root canal can help in your situation.
What To Expect During Your Root Canal Treatment
Here at our dental facility in Hammond, Louisiana, we always want our patients to be aware and well-educated before each treatment
- Anesthesia – our dentist will use local anesthesia to numb the tooth and the surrounding area. Through this, you can guarantee a painless procedure despite having your mouth open for quite a long time. Keep in mind that the numbing process will depend on how bad the infection is, which means that it will take different amounts of time for different patients. Don’t worry, though, because your dentist will wait for the area to be completely numb before starting the treatment.
- Drilling – once it is numb, your dentist will use the drill to remove the top layer of the infected tooth. This will be a rigorous process and will involve a number of specialized instruments. The dentist will irrigate the chamber inside your tooth to wash away remaining debris and apply an antiseptic. Again, you won’t feel any pain during this process.
- Fillings – once everything is cleared up, your dentist will start applying the filler material and then he will seal the entrance to the tooth.
Once the root canal is complete, you are going to have to wait for the numbness to go away before you can eat again. You will be given antibiotics to prevent any more infections and it is very likely that you will be recommended for a dental crown treatment after.
A tooth abscess is one of the most common reasons patients walk into our office for a root canal treatment. Once the tooth is infected, there is a pus buildup that will occur which will greatly endanger a person’s health and even life. When the pus isn’t removed immediately, it will swell up and can make its way to other parts of an individual that are located near the mouth, gums or teeth. It’s imperative to seek a root canal therapy done by a dentist specializing in this area as soon as possible
We understand that immediate dental care is needed for this kind of situation; we don’t delay our care for our patients because we know that it will cost them their health.
Advanced Dental Concepts Understands the Importance of Teeth Care
Whether you want to show off those pearly whites with our teeth whitening treatment or bring your family for a monthly check-up, Advanced Dental Concepts is always ready to assist you.